Today we wanted to bring something fresh, in true RefreshMint style, to all our readers. There are two buzzwords that we wanted to explore and break it down for you – Personalization in wealth building & cryptocurrencies.
Most products in the existing financial ecosystem are based on generic profiling of a consumer and then aggregating those profiles to give a solution. While marketing practices for most industries have gone beyond segmentation & targeting to “Segment-of-One”, financial advisory lies far behind.
A mutual fund classifies an individual as a retail customer. It then designs a generic fund for them. Investors based on their own understanding and evaluation of the risk profile, do research or are being advised to invest in a mutual fund.
A PMS(portfolio management service) moves personalisation marginally ahead by grouping investors and aggregates these funds to invest in various equity or other instruments.
Similarly on the lending side, while an individual’s risk profile is being assessed, it is then used to fit them into a scorecard, and evaluation is being done basis that.
What is going to change this?
Enter the realm of decentralization and cryptocurrencies. The decentralised world provides a myriad of investment opportunities and far more effective lending solutions which user can tap into with according to their risk profiles.
Mix both of these and technology and evolution of financial market lets us treat each of you as special as you are, unique in every sense.
However, understanding investors and building their risk profile in the Crypto world is still a long way off. The lack of risk profiling impedes our goal of personalization in wealth building using cryptocurrencies. Most cryptocurrencies were built with pseudo-anonymity as one of the key features, thus making it impossible to build the bridge between conventional Centralized finance(CeFi) and Decentralized finance (DeFi). This makes it challenging to provide a basket of DeFi products(Loans, Insurance, etc.) to conventional investors(you, yes YOU).
The decentralised crypto world offers the perfect solution if an individual can be profiled uniquely and can then have solutions which are unique to them. Decentralized finance allows us to move from
- Mass Standardization → Mass Customization
- Limited Products → Diverse Products
- Fragmented Products → Cohesive & integrated user-driven products(phew!)
“Bitcoin is a little bit like gold.” Raghuram Rajan, Former Governor of RBI, Chief Economist and Director of Research at the International Monetary Fund, in 2020.
“Stocks and bonds may always be stapled investments, but investing in digital currencies like Bitcoin may provide further diversification (with higher returns per unit of risk) as investors seek to build more resilient portfolios. Bitcoin has historically performed as an uncorrelated asset. As a result, it may provide benefits to an investment portfolio that other assets may not be able to match. By properly sizing a Bitcoin allocation as part of a traditional investment portfolio (e.g., a 1-5% allocation), the risks of investing in Bitcoin can be mitigated relative to potential gains. This is the power of diversification.” – Grayscale Investments LLC, 2020
“Our investment in Bitcoin is part of our new capital allocation strategy, which seeks to maximize long-term value for our shareholders. This investment reflects our belief that Bitcoin, as the world’s most widely-adopted cryptocurrency, is a dependable store of value and an attractive investment asset with more long-term appreciation potential than holding cash. Since its inception over a decade ago, Bitcoin has emerged as a significant addition to the global financial system, with characteristics that are useful to both individuals and institutions. MicroStrategy has recognized Bitcoin as a legitimate investment asset that can be superior to cash and accordingly has made Bitcoin the principal holding in its treasury reserve strategy.” said Michael J. Saylor, CEO, MicroStrategy Incorporated after investing 250mn USD in Bitcoin as part of their capital allocation strategy in FY20.
And we can keep going… on the WHY.
ENTER RefreshMINT (Mints)
Since our launch, we have been receiving tremendous feedback from all our users and have registered thousands of users to date. We have consistently used our data-driven approach to identify each investor’s individual risk profile and provide personalised advisory services accordingly.
The profiling process is enabled by our app RefreshMint which leverages credit bureau, users data, and user behaviour in-app to profile and assign risk scores to consumers uniquely.
The app today captures user profiles across various dimensions to build a risk model for each user.
- Risk from Demographics
- Family risk
- Age risk
- The risk from Bureau ( financial maturity)
- Behavioural risk ( user behaviour in-app)
- Existing investments
Our proprietary algorithm works perfectly well in CeFi world, and we are already on our way to solution our approach on how to scale this expertise to the DeFi space.
We are calling our DeFi focused platform as “Mints”.
What is Mints?
Mints will be an integrated platform acting as a bridge between conventional centralised finance (CeFi) and Decentralized Finance(DeFi). Our app RefershMint is already capturing users profile and risk from the fiat world. It is then translating them into a form that enables them to be used in the decentralized financial system.
Moving user profile and risk to decentralized finance
The risk profile of the user is being continuously monitored by our algorithm based on earlier said parameters. This triggers adjustments and advisory for all portfolio held. Let’s see the impact of this across products.
- Investments– As the risk profile changes allocation to investing in crypto increase or decrease. The crypto products held are a function of the risk profile of the consumer.
- Loans– The risk score is available to all participants in DeFi lending community. The risk and collateral posted changes the rates at which a consumer can borrow from the market.
- Insurance– The risk score, existing insurance profile are available to participants of the p2p insurance community. Once a user posts a requirement for insurance their profile, risk score and probability of the underlying event can determine the insurance premiums.
Stitching it all together in one place
DeFi is global
DeFi is a global phenomenon and operated across the globe. It gives us excellent opportunities to present arbitrage based benefits prevailing across different regions. Imagine a consumer in India instead of borrowing at 13% in INR being able to borrow at 7% in USD basis their risk profile OR a consumer in the US being able to invest 20% of the money in Crytpo Assets to generate a higher APR. This move makes Refreshmint and Mints a global product, not restricted to India.
Where we are now and what happens next:
- ✅ Phase-1 Build an app to create risk profiles for our users. COMPLETED – Already LIVE.
- Phase-2 will focus on “Cryptonizing” our app. It will enable building basket of DeFi products for our users and provide them with easy ramps to invest in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies and related products.
Things that we are currently working on
- On-boarding an ace team to make this happen
- Building a detailed website explaining how all this will work (drop us your questions and we will try to cover them on our site) and publish our detailed whitepaper
- Enabling an easy ramp for our users to build exposure & awareness in cryptocurrency
- Parameters to define risk scores for the underlying crypto assets & DeFi products
- Affiliate building and/or aggregator model for current DeFi products in the market (Eg: BlockFi, Celsius, Binance, etc.)
- Standardize risk profile and a scoring mechanism to build a global standard for all of DeFi space to utilize
- Ensure superior security & custody services for underlying assets. Evaluate service providers for the same(Gemini, BitGo, etc.)
- The best mode to raise funds for our journey ahead (ICO or STO or VC).
- Tokenomics to benefit to the seed funders during our friends and family round of fundraising.
Things we are incredibly sure about.
- All users have to be KYC compliant.
- We will follow all AML guidelines by seeking inputs from FATF guideline document published for practices on dealing with cross-border cryptocurrency transactions
- Hawkeye approach to the evaluation of product that we will onboard
We are keen to know more from you. Reach out to us on
Telegram – t.me/refreshmint
Twitter – https://twitter.com/MintsFinance